Pages

Ads 468x60px

Sunday, October 11, 2009

pulp fiction and eighties cartoons

I've decided that the influences that I've had and ultimate vision that i want to portray is gonna be less like Lord of the Rings or other traditional high fantasy and a lot more like pulp fiction fantasy and eighties cartoons.
This realization came to me as i was viewing an exhibit of pulp fiction magazine covers at the school gallery. These magazines from the thirties and forties were all the rage for a generation of people who needed their fantasy or mystery fix before radio and tv. They were fantastic, over the top, chintzy, and campy but their stylized, colorful, out of this world style is something unique and contains elements of what i want my graphic novel to be.
Another of my main influences comes from the cartoons of my youth, during the late eighties and early nineties when fantasy was really popular. Many of these shows were ridiculous and cheesy beyond belief, but many of them contained artwork and design layouts that were beautiful and strange, and compared to cheap computer based cartoons of today, very artistic and refreshing. Shows like thundercats, HeMan, Pirates of Dark Water, and many more were influencial on me as a boy and their artistic, weird worlds contain elements of space and fantasy that i want my Shedyra project to achieve.
Did you watch these shows or have you seen these magazines? Do you think this is a fun idea?

2 comments:

  1. What the heck? I totally commented on this one already and it isn't showing up.

    Hmm.

    Any who, as I said before, I think this is a great idea because the style will fit really well with the visual world you have created. Shedyra is so colorful, and in a more "classic" art style, it might seem out of place. And I think this style will help you achieve the over all look you are going for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So! I have this old school lunch box that is one of those tin can one's, and it has the fruit punch cartoon guy on it...it's pretty much amazing. Anyway, Andy has one but with HeMan on it! When he worked at the Dentist Office, I would walk over for lunch and we would both have our tin can lunch boxes. At his coworkers made fun of him, but then they saw that his little sister also had one and they were like "Whoa, that's sweet!" So we are pretty much way cool for having old school tin can lunch boxes with cartoon characters on them....
    just a little story for you

    ReplyDelete